Tasty vegan sandwich is made with beetroot sauerkraut, gherkins, mushrooms and rye bread. Recipe is courtesy of Biona.
- To make the Russian dressing, combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Finely slice the mushrooms. Heat a little oil in a large fry pan and sautée the garlic for 20 seconds before adding the mustard and fennel seeds.
- Add the mushrooms and toss through the spices. Cook for four minutes before seasoning with sea salt.
- To assemble the sandwich, lightly butter one side of the rye bread slices and place them butter side down on a pan. Grill until lightly toasted.
- Remove from the pan and smear the unbuttered side of one slice with a good dollop of the dressing before following with a generous handful of the mushrooms. If you are using cheese slices, add a slice now then add the sauerkraut, slices of the gherkin and fresh dill.
- Place the second slice of bread on top (buttered side out) and return the sandwich to the pan and lightly grill until warmed through.
- Serve immediately.
Courtesy of Biona